Join the NSO Team!
We work as a team with a great bunch of experienced and newer/exploring farmers, and are always interested in talking possibilities with motivated sustainable farming and food-interested folks.
Positions at North Star are not internships, but employment with opportunities to learn while working. Many of our staff have gone on to further education in sustainable topics/agriculture or to their own farming projects. Opportunities exist for long-term employment.
Please note: North Star Orchard is a smoke-free and drug-free environment, and we are not a certified organic farm. Please review our growing practices if you have strong feelings regarding organic production.
We are fully staffed for 2023 at this time.
If you would like to be contacted if we have an opening later in the season and/or next year, please fill in the application below.
FT/PT Well-Rounded Farm Staff to help with fruit and vegetable production, harvest, marketing, and deliveries, from April until Thanksgiving:
- Help with all phases of fruit & vegetable production, harvest, and marketing, from April (or later) until Thanksgiving.
- No experience necessary, although a genuine interest, education, or self-education is required
- Gain skills to further your specific goals and interests
- Successful candidate must be a self-starter and able to follow direction and work independently once trained.
- Opportunity exists to take on more responsibility and to be involved long-term and from year-to-year for the right person
- New Hires start at $13/hr with potential for more based on previous experience and education.
PT Retail Staff:
- Openings available at the Farm Store, Phoenixville Farmers' Market, and West Chester Growers' Market on Saturdays, Emmaus Farmers' Market on Sundays, and the Oakmont Farmers' Market on Wednesday afternoon/evenings.
- approximately 3 to 6 hours per market day, depending on location and schedule (most are on the weekend).
- No experience necessary, although a genuine interest, education, or self-education in food production and/or sustainability topics is required. Must be a people person and have basic knowledge about using produce.
- New Hires start at $12/hr with potential for more based on previous experience and education.
Successful Candidates Will:
- Be able & willing to help with direct-marketing of the farm's products, either at a farmers' market stand or in our farm store.
- Be able to work 1 weekend day (if required based on scheduling) each week from August until Thanksgiving
- Be highly motivated, efficient, and detail-oriented with strong work ethics and the ability to work well with both staff and customers.
- (For most on-farm staff): be physically fit: able to repeatedly lift 40-50 pounds, climb a short ladder on a frequent basis on orchard work days, squat and bend repeatedly on garden work days, and work in all weather conditions. Some roles on our team may exist for those who are not as fit.
- Have a license with a good driving record
- Supply own work boots, clothing, gloves, and sunscreen.
- Not smoke or chew tobacco on the farm premises.
- Regular on-farm work hours are M-F from 7AM to 3:30PM. Work schedules may vary somewhat depending on position and whether or not a staff member works at a weekend farmers' market or the farm store, etc.
- Pay and raises are based on: incoming experience, performance, taking on more responsibility, and longevity.
- All staff working more than 20 hours a week receive a 50% price discount on first-quality produce and free second-quality produce. Staff working under 20 hours a week receive a 20% discount on first-quality produce.
- On-farm shared housing in a large house at reasonable rent is a possibility if there is space available. Rent includes heat, A/C, trash, water, and wifi.
- 401(k) plan with matching employer contributions is available for staff who work a minimum of 1000 hours and are employed for at least a year.
Please fill in an Employment Application AND email us a resume with your education and work experiences.
We will reply if we feel you might be a good fit for the farm.