- 1 bunch celery
- 1 red onion, cut in 1-inch strips
- 6 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 2 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 c minced parsley
Cut celery crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Put in bowl. Add red onions.
In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients except parsley. Pour over celery and red onions. Toss. Top with parsley flakes.
Chill at least 4 hours and serve. Leftovers are great.
Celery-Feta Salad (return to top)
- 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced\
- 1 small jar pimento strips
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped thyme or oregano
- 2 Tbsp bottled vinaigrette-style salad dressing
- 1 small head leaf lettuce, washed and trimmed
Mix the feta cheese with the celery, pimento and chopped herbs. Sprinkle with the vinaigrette.
Place lettuce leaves on four plates; top with feta and celery mixture.
Celery Stew (return to top)
A quickly made stew with good, fresh vegetable flavor.
- 4 cups celery in ½-inch chunks
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 ½ cups sliced onions
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp. celery salt
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 tsp. chervil
- ½ cup chopped celery or lovage leaves or dill
- ½ cup hot broth
- 2 cups cooked white kidney or shell beans
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Blanch celery for 5 minutes in boiling water; drain.
Peel pepper if you wish. Slice pepper and cook along with onions in butter and oil until wilted and lightly browned.
Chop garlic, add to pan, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in celery and celery salt; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Peel, seed, and chop tomatoes and add along with herbs and broth.
Cover pan and cook for 10-15 minutes longer or until celery is tender. Stir in beans and cook until heated through.
Season to taste and serve hot. Serves 6-8.