Join the NSO Team!
We work as a team with a great bunch of experienced and newer/exploring farmers, and are always interested in talking possibilities with motivated sustainable farming and food-interested folks.
Positions at North Star are not internships, but employment with opportunities to learn while working, especially for motivated individuals who are willing to read industry-specific material, ask questions of the farm owners, and attend area grower-specific meetings. Many of our staff have gone on to further education in sustainable topics/agriculture or to their own farming projects. Opportunities exist for long-term employment.
Please note: North Star Orchard is a smoke-free and drug-free environment, and we are not a certified organic farm. Please review our growing practices if you have strong feelings regarding organic production.
We are fully staffed for 2023 at this time.
If you would like to be contacted if we have an opening later in the season and/or next year, please fill in the application below.
FT/PT Well-Rounded Farm Staff to help with fruit and vegetable production, harvest, and marketing, from April until Thanksgiving:
- Help with all phases of fruit & vegetable production, harvest, and marketing, from April until Thanksgiving.
- No experience necessary, although a genuine interest, education, or self-education is required
- Gain skills to further your specific goals and interests
- Successful candidate must be a self-starter and able to follow direction and work independently once trained.
- Opportunity exists to take on more responsibility and to be involved long-term and from year-to-year for the right person
- New Hires start at $13/hr with potential for more based on previous experience or education.
PT Retail Staff:
- Openings available at the Farm Store (Thursdays through Sundays), Phoenixville Farmers’ Market, and West Chester Growers’ Market on Saturdays, and the Oakmont Farmers’ Market on Wednesday afternoon/evenings.
- approximately 3 to 8 hours per market day, depending on location and schedule (most are on the weekend).
- No experience necessary, although a genuine interest, education, or self-education in food production and/or sustainability topics is required. Must be a people person and have basic knowledge about using produce.
- $13/hr to start
ALL applicants should be able/willing to help with direct-marketing of the farm’s products, either at a farmers’ market stand or in our farm store. Good communication skills and interest/experience in customer service are key.
Successful Candidates Will:
- Be able & willing to help with direct marketing of the farm’s products, either at a farmers’ market stand or in our farm store
- Be able to work 1 weekend day (if required, based on scheduling) each week from August until Thanksgiving
- Be highly motivated, efficient, and detail-oriented, with strong work ethics and the ability to work well with both staff and customers
- (For most on-farm staff): be physically fit: able to repeatedly lift 40-50 pounds, climb a short ladder on a frequent basis in the orchard, squat and bend repeatedly in the garden, and work in all weather conditions. Some roles on our team may exist for those who are not as fit
- Have a license with a good driving record
- Supply own work boots, clothing, gloves, and sunscreen
- Refrain from smoking, vaping, or chewing tobacco on the farm premises
- Regular on-farm work hours are M-F from 7AM to 3:30PM. Work schedules ay vary somewhat depending on position and whether or not a staff emeber works at a weekend farmers’ market or in the farm store, etc.
- Pay and raises are based on: incoming experience, performance, taking on more responsibility, and longevity
- All staff working more than 20 hours per week receive a 50% discount on first-quality produce and free second-quality produce. Staff working under 20 hours per week receive a 20% discount on first-quality produce
- On-farm shared housing in a large house at reasonable rent is a possibility if there is space available. Rent included, heat, electric, A/C, trash, water, and wifi
- 401(k) plan with matching employer contributions is available for staff who work a minimum of 1000 hours and are employed for at least a year
We will reply if we feel you might be a good fit for the opening(s) available.